This too shall pass!

There was a King in ancient times. He was ruling his kingdom sincerely and intelligently. His masses loved and respected him. He took great care of them.
There was a famous saint in a nearby village. The king went to him to seek his blessings so that he would serve his kingdom better. The saint told the King that he was discharging his duties honestly and earnestly yet since the King had come, he (the saint) would give him something which would help the King handle drastic situations better. The saint gave the King a locket and asked him to open it and read the contents only under two conditions: either the King was so happy that he got overwhelmed by that or he was so doomed that he could find no way to handle the situation. If the locket be opened under any other situation, the effect of the locket would be of no use. The King thanked the saint and left.
Many years passed. During all those years, the King came next to opening the locket, however every time some or the other thing made sure that the locket didn’t open.
Finally, one day, the King was engulfed by a very tough problem. All his ideas failed and he could see no way to handle such condition. Every effort went down the drains. The King was then reminded of that locket. He opened the locket. The locket read: THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!

The essence of the story is that under no circumstance whatsoever the life stops. Things happen and things pass by. However, the story has not been written to inspire someone. It has been narrated here just to give a feel of the phrase.

I was working on one of the accounts when a production defect came up! It was a priority 1 defect, i.e. the highest priority defect. I don’t want to reiterate my pathetic coding proficiency! Yet I need to. I had no clue why the defect was coming, why a few lines were no getting printed on the bill or why the bloody hell a few BANs were getting rejected! To make matters worse, I interpreted the defect wrong and started towards absolutely wrong direction. I proceeded towards something which didn’t even exist. Because of that, I almost scoffed at the other person who could not find the reason behind the defect. Oops! However, the manager who was responsible for getting the correct bills printed and also to reply the customer, was in some other mood. He called me up and asked me about the status of the defect. Trying to be a manager myself, I replied that I am “trying” to solve the defect and it would take “sometime”. He asked me to give an exact figure and told me not to try rather solve the defect ASAP. He asked me angrily what he should tell the customer. My designation in my company is Subject Matter Expert. I am just above the Guards, the sweepers and the Office boys. How could I tell the Project manager what to tell the customer!! Idiot. I could not reply to him. However, after listening to the PM, I at least got the idea where the things were going wrong. I was so shocked at my inabilities to decipher the code!! The PM was going to call me in a few hours after the meeting with the client and “expected” me to solve the defect. Saala bitch!! I was screwed.

After sometime, he called and when again I tried to ward off his blatant questions, he started yelling at me. He was constantly adding a word “LAYOKAY” at the start, in the middle and after every sentence which made it all the more difficult for me to understand what he wanted or what he was saying.
That was the first scolding that I received. It was the bitter taste of the real world. I sincerely didn’t know what to do. I was next to break down and cry! Solving the defect was out of question. I could see no solution to the problem I had! Suddenly the above mentioned story came to my mind and I started telling myself what the saint had told to the king, THIS TOO SHALL PASS! However, it didn’t make matters any better. The PM was calling and giving me harsh times and I had no idea from where to quench his LAYOKAY thirst!

Within my team, it is an unsaid custom that if people fall in troubles, there are others always volunteering to bail them out. I have been bailed out the maximum number of times. Once again, a team mate came over and saw my abysmal state of affairs. He then looked at the Detailed design and the Impact Assessment (these jargons are for the IT people. For rest, these are kind of documents which are necessary and help to understand the requirement.). Looked at some extracts (the data) and after some research came out with a statement which is usually done in this world. He said that the defect was not because of the implementation of our team; rather the calculations done by the previous team was faulty. We were printing only the data. TO ERR IS HUMAN. TO FORGIVE DIVINE. TO BLAME ON SOMEONE IS MANAGEMENT. His management skills rescued me from that circumstance. However, the bullshit I was in did pass away! .

Comments

Anuj said…
the style of ur writings is getting better with every post...keep it up buddy...nicely narrated.
amit said…
Very well written...thats precisely what we all reluctant software engineer's goes through...

Mohit's friend - Amit
|M|O|H|I|T| said…
You are all set to write a book on the topic of your choice and I am all set to publish and market it. Whenever you feel like start working on it, let me know. I have lots of time for most of the day as I spend major part of it in replying to such priority 1/2 cases after consulting to some Software Engineers of my team.

Popular posts from this blog

My Father - My Superhero

Shyamlal - The jamadar

Hero to Zero