52W52B - Book 2: The Class

The Class is a story of 5 students from Harvard, class of ’58.

Ted Lambros, an outsider, becomes the ultimate Harvard insider: a beloved classics professor and President of Harvard.

Jason Gilbert, a gifted sportsman, decides to change the direction of his life after the death of her beloved, embraces his “Jewishness”, and joins Israel Army, only to make the supreme sacrifice in an attempt to save Israeli hostages.

George Keller, a Hungarian who runs away from his country to save his life and ends up in the White House.

Danny Rossi, a gifted musician embarks on an illustrious musical career
Andrew Eliot, from the Eliot clan, who remains unsuccessful for whole his life till he raises Millions of Dollars for his alma mater.

I started with much anticipation – this being my first Eric Segal book. Till around 300 pages I waited patiently for the excitement to come, like a passenger for his train, only to realize that the train didn’t exist. I read remaining 200 pages only because I had to finish the book. There were occasions of good writing but never once that took my breath away, like my previous reads did. I found the book bland. The story was moving like the passenger train, stopping at every junction. I was also lolled into sleep every now and then by the rhythmic movement.

There were a couple of personal biases as well while reading the book: while at the start every person got girls of their choice at the first instance, towards the end, all of them got divorced, except Jason Gilbert – for he was too busy in his Army raids and then he died; and Rossi because of his traditional Catholic wife.

My favourite part was the last section of the book: The Reunion, though even there I didn’t much agree with the author when he compared the middle aged Harvard pass out as brothers who were more competitive when they actually joined the college 25 years back.

Another thing that I liked was Andrew Eliot’s diary entries. I think that too for personal reason – that his diary always shared his self-doubt. Well!

The only solace for me was the fact that I got the book in 50 bucks from a second hand book shop.

Comments

I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.
Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.
I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

Popular posts from this blog

My Father - My Superhero

Shyamlal - The jamadar

Hero to Zero