Dil, dosti etc.

This post is not in remembrance of my dear college. This is a product of lack of sleep at night (which is a brand new thing for me), absolutely extra free time and absence of any friends here at Allahabad.
With a pang of guilt, I want to confess that I am getting bored. While it’s great to be with parents, but it is of utmost importance that friends are also around. I am reading the autobiography of Nelson Mandela. In that he also accepts (and accepts with “pang of guilt”) that he at times forgot his parents, siblings and his native place while he was having fun at college. This can be extrapolated to my situation as well. In fact, his autobiography was of much solace to me. My thoughts: when such a great personality can do such a things, I too can. It doesn’t seem that entire alien thing at all. Everyone, at least every guy must have felt such feelings in absence of friends.
While you can have great talks with your parents, can even crack jokes with them, but I feel a friend’s place can be substituted by another friend only.
My mother once asked me how and why were friends so important. I told her that with friends, one can share everything, even those things which can’t be shared with parents, lest they would get worried. The friends would not resolve the problem, in fact in all probability they would accentuate them, but what they can do, no one else can. They can help you laugh off the biggest of the troubles just like that. My mom asked for an example. I told her that I had missed one of the final exam papers. This knocked hell out of her and I gave a first-hand example to her about how friends could just blow things off and how parents got tensed at such “minute” things.
Furthermore, I am also missing the freedom of my college. I was free to do anything at any time. Not that my parents are tough, they are quite liberal in fact, yet the freedom to sleep at 4 am, tea at Bishuda at 3.30 in the morning with endless bakar sessions are being sorely missed. Those random discussions about anything under the sun: from how idiotic our academic system is, to comparison between India and Australia to those beautiful females who don’t give us a second glance are things which can’t be discussed with parents at length. Any mention that academics are not that entire important are met with skepticism from parents. Of course, any discussion about females is dangerous. Cricket can be discussed but without expletives.
I end this post with a quote from a clipping that one of my teachers put up on Facebook when we were leaving XLRI: kamino ki yaad to bohot aegi.
A Proud Friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Father - My Superhero

Shyamlal - The jamadar

Hero to Zero