A note to my Prof

Dear Sir

Finally, even I was able to fool one company after trying to cheat other companies by giving them similar bogus answers in the interviews, showing fake interest in the organizations, telling every interviewer how great their job offering was (which was, by the way identical for all the companies) and blowing my own trumpets, which were all false by the way. Now has to pay me for all this.

Though the process started on December 12th, 2010 with CV calls from , the actual interview process was from 21st of December. Whereas there were the most ordinary who got through their first pecked company within 2 hours of attending the whole Placement process, and there were certain lesser mortals who did this within 15 days, I was among the best! I was one of the longest standing candidates in the history of XLRI (an additional CV point). I took a total of 52 days to achieve the feat. I saw next to every process and I also know why is every company so great, or rather GREATEST. I am more knowledgeable than any other candidate on the campus as far as the information related to companies is concerned.

However, the process left me slightly confused: while I had read in my English classes that there could be only one best, THE BEST, things were quite different here. Here, every company was the best: best in the industry, best in the culture, best employer of the Universe, best in the policies and processes, best cross functional roles, best opportunities within 2 months of joining, which they claimed one would receive only after 2-3 years in any other company (the same thing was told by that “other” company as well) and there are many bests left. The point of confusion is that, was my English Teacher wrong or was she ignorant about the usage of “Best” because the Boss can never be wrong, and since all the people who came to give us a brief about their companies (which took 2.5 hours only) are bosses to certain ordinary human-beings, hence they can’t be wrong. I am planning to contact my English teacher and enlighten her about her ignorance and make her proud from my latest learning from XLRI.

However, this proved to be a blessing in disguise because I didn’t have to prepare separate answers for different companies. I just had to change the facts and figures, and BINGO! The answer is ready!!

Now that I informed you about the serious part, on a lighter note: I thank you for all the nice and important things that you told me in the class. Unfortunately, when I reproduced them in the interviews, they didn’t look very impressed because it didn’t contain many frameworks, strategies and models. It was told to them in the simplest of the language which even a lay-man would understand. But then they were not lay-men, they THE MEN. Trust me, I even blamed it on you, that my Professor was “naïve” and wanted the students to understand the things in the simplest manner so that they could understand rather than GAS (Global Action Strategies!!). But they just won’t buy that. They were not ready to accept that the Profs of XLRI can use simple language.

Again on a lighter note: I have quite understood certain things that were told in the class, and I again thank you for using the most lucid way of teaching. I am sure that using what you told with utmost modesty, along with my own simple personality, I would be able to achieve something in life. I am also sure, like the placement process, there will be certain ordinary people, who will achieve this in their first go, some lesser mortals who will take a few years but a great person like me will take LONG time to achieve those things, but then who is in hurry!

--

Regards,

Yashowardhan Chaturvedi

Personnel Management & Industrial Relations

XLRI School of Business and Human Resources

When life hands you lemons... DEMAND Tequila and Salt!

Comments

|M|O|H|I|T| said…
Chatur you are on your way to become Jug Suraiya of Times of India(pardon me if I spelled his name wrong). I enjoy a lot reading your blogs. Keep writing But be ready for another placement call from TOI...its COMING SOON :)
Swapnil said…
Congrats yasho for your first post of your blog.. :)

Very well written.. does stirs a lot of emotions and thoughts..

Looking forward to more such posts... ;)
Swapnil said…
sorry thought it was ur first post.. :P
Shobhit said…
Wow - nicely written yashu - didn't know u could cook up such an interesting mix of thoughts :P :P

Very Well Written - Really looking forward to many more posts :)

Popular posts from this blog

My Father - My Superhero

Shyamlal - The jamadar

Hero to Zero