Dreams Shattered... Temporarily!!

"We are sorry to inform you that, after careful consideration, we are unable to offer you a position in this year’s Fellowship class."
This is the part of the message that I received from TFI.
Right since the day I had filled the form of TFI, I was dreaming of the first day I would attend the Training, then after a month-and-half, I would start the Teaching process, of which I have no clue. I was excited for the newest experiences that I would get after reaching there.
All my life, I have done things, which are to be done; Schooling for 12 years because it was to be done, Engineering for 4 years because it was to be done, also because Engineering was the safest and the most secure wrt securing of job, of all the Graduation degrees. Then there was job, again, because it was to be done. I started preparing for MBA :), sorry but here too it was to be done. A silk route... from Engineering to IT to MBA to a well paid job which is also known in social terms as A GOOD JOB.
I had already made a few plans of what I would be doing after getting through. Since the money part is not all that much, I had planned to buy a non-motorized bike well equiped. This would have helped me in saving money, an extra bit of health and no more addition of fumes from my side.
I had also planned to go for a few small certifications through these two years. Another of the plans was to read more number of books and learn dance along with.
This all might sound all too much however, just a small amout of time planning and each of these things could have been realized along with full commitment for the work I was there for.
If you want to make God laugh, just tell him your plans! This holds especially true for me :). It happened again.
No one but I know how vehemently I wanted to go there!!
I had a fierce argument with my sister and a fiercer one with my bro-in-law. This was the first time I had an argument with my bro-in-law. Usually, I agree with him, however this time I had conviction enough to counter even him. He is mostly very well informed and has immense knowledge of most of the things. However, this time I was also well informed and was absolutely sure of what I wanted.
There were two sides of the argument, one hard-core practical side, the ground realities, the experience, the safer side and the other was more dreamier side, less of experience and more of desire... a desire to do different things, to get a newer experience which have no immediate monetary gains and is risky!
What is a calculated risk? In effect it not taking any risk and consoling one self that one took the risk.
There is something Mr. Mark Twain has to say: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
People told me that this is very nice to hear and say, but when the reality bites, it bites hard and leaves no one.
What I have to say on this is: when its so nice to hear and say, imagine how great it would be when actually done. What an immense feeling and experience it would fetch!!

A desire to be different, not to show off in front of the world, rather for self satisfaction, is highly unacceptable and impractical. The reason being it doesn't pay off well. If you think big, you are scoffed at immediately. The worst part is, you immediate relatives discourage you more than others. They want you to be in the safe havens of the known, no matter how unbearable it might be.
If I do not like my IT job, it is highly recomended that I stick to it and eventually learn things than do something else which I might like. However, there is no word like "might", "possibly", "probably" in the dictionary of practical people.
I don't understand why they don't let others experience things on their own. Isn't it a possibility that what happened with some might just not happen with others. Sure there is an unknown, but isn't it an unknown because it hasn't been explored?!
The concern part I agree with. What I can't understand is extra-cautiousness.
Everyone at one or the other time of their lives desire to do things which are not usual. Something which would make them stand distinct from the crowd, something which might or might not be materially rewarding, yet enriching experience-wise, something which one wants to do with no logic or sense associated to it, just a desire for it. The feeling that you get from it is awesome. Yet they stop others from doing it. What an irony! Or is it hypocrisy? Or is it complete lack of confidence in other's abilities? Or is it a genuine concern and fear associated with that?
Probably, its a mixture of more than one thing. However, it is a matter to ponder sincerely about the degree to which newer things be discouraged.
Had everyone followed the safer route, there wouldn't have been any route on the first place.
Though God laughes shamelessly on your plans, he makes sure you don't go through the worst nightmares. Good things also follow.
Practical people, please take care of this aspect as well.
Lets see what happens when I get a second chance where again I would be required to take risks. Provided I have conviction enough, I would be doing what I would desire. Lets see. I have not seen the future!! All the best to all.

Comments

Unknown said…
Just like i said yesterday...go pursue ur passion!!!we've already travelled enough on d path everyone travels..now lets tread d path less untravelled...all d best my dear!!m sure opportunity will again knock ur door..but this time just dnt let it go empty-handed...
Rakesh Vanamali said…
dreams shattered momentarily, only to resume with more vigour and passion! Good luck!
Neetu said…
Dont let this irritation, perseverance and zest for doing something diff die. The day it goes off, you would not be able to differentiate urself from the crowd.
Anuj Sukhija said…
hmmm..okay let me tell u somthin....it was this blog and the way u have wrote this one that inspired me to put my thought in writing as well...

really inspiring!!!

KEEP IT Up...I WOULD RANK THIS AS THE BEST ONE AMONG ALL UR WRITINGS...THE STYLE, THE FLOW, THE ARTICULATION...everything is really good

DUDE...very very few people have this zeal and KEEDA of leaving the secured path...very less people LIVE, rest just EXIST...

and trust me...whatever happens, happens for the best....
Parul said…
best blog i have ever read..cud somewhat relate it to myself:)
Don't let this spirit and spark in you die..try ur best to fufill ur dreams so that later in life u dont have to say..kaaash maine try kiya hota!!
Parul said…
forgot to say...
i believe in taking calculated risks..
I define it as taking risk to a degree where harm done will be less!!
some ppl have the spark but they dont know the direction..its good that u know ur direction..
so my frnd..just go ahead..best of luck!!

Popular posts from this blog

My Father - My Superhero

Shyamlal - The jamadar

Hero to Zero