Kill Chetan Bhagat

I have read all the Chetan Bhagat novels and if one of my friends is to be believed, it’s a case of Yin-Yang, dark and light; what I have gained in photographic taste, I've lost in literary taste. In the literary circle, he has been criticized and condemned on various aspects: poor grammar, redundant sentence formation, recurring thoughts and artless language; not to mention lack of imagination and no LOTR-like detailing. His books are not works of literature by any means and 5 books down, the quality of work is still the same. He survives only on economy of scale and his cheap publicity gimmicks are pathetic.

With a risk of being labeled as ‘lesser’ reader, I wish to put my thoughts on CB’s writing. All you big readers, I am sorry to say that I like reading his books. I enjoy them and even relate to the protagonist often. I like that I don’t have to think much while reading his books nor do I have to go back to the dictionary to understand what the words mean. I often feel for the protagonist and wish that good happens with him, which invariably does. “People would probably consider it a greater piece of art if the ending were depressing, but I’ve made the choice to go for happy endings in all my stories”, says Bhagat. I don’t find anything wrong with it, rather I feel nice when happiness prevails– it is because I often get involved with the book. At the end of ‘The Animal Farm’, I felt cheated, frustrated and exploited. No comparison is being made here; however when I want to read something light, I want to feel cheered up and not exhausted. I prefer that when I read something heavy and literary.

All five books have remained bestsellers since their release and two have inspired Bollywood films (including the hit film 3 Idiots). In 2008, The New York Times called Bhagat "the biggest selling English language novelist in India's history". Time magazine named him as one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World. The Fast Company, USA listed him as one of the world’s “100 most creative people in business.” One can’t help but notice the irony of being accused of cheap publicity at home and being recognized globally. These credentials are strong enough to label him successful.

His stories are influential for sure. The protagonist is always a young person struggling with his own confusions. He is never the best. On the contrary, he is an average person - he is the boy-next-door. He has ordinary looks, a paunch may be, never the gifted student, girls are mostly attracted towards others. In case they are attracted towards him, its not because of his intellect, looks or finances, rather because he listen to them, talks to them, want to be with them or may be genuinely attracted towards them. His financial condition is like that of most of the middle-class youngsters, i.e. limited and not-easily-replenishable. He is as vulnerable as any of the ordinary guys is – not sure where he wants to go, what he wants to do, in short – completely lost. He often struggles with his academics, job and people around him. All his achievements are an outcome of his efforts only. No God-father, no upper hand. In fact, a lot of young people see him like them and get inspired. They see him as the rare case where a middle-class boy came from nowhere and left his mark. They can relate to his story. How different are most of us from the person in his stories?

So while I agree that he is not the best of the writers, the stories are every-day and similar to everyday life. The books are affordable, and make those people take them up who would never have, otherwise. Interestingly, it isn't his writing that draws attention. It is the reaction to the writing – which is overwhelming. He sells in millions and the reach is outstanding. I have no hesitation calling him an influential writer.

So ‘Bigger’ readers – please forgive me that I like his books.

  • Few sentences have been taken from different articles written on him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Father - My Superhero

Shyamlal - The jamadar

Hero to Zero